The Refuge’s mission is to provide trauma-informed, long-term restoration community with on-site services for girls, minors through age 19, who have been exploited through sex trafficking. The Refuge for DMSTTM (Domestic Minor Sex Trafficking), is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization located in Austin, Texas. Their facility, the Refuge Ranch is a 21-building, labor of love, nestled among the Bastrop County pine trees. The Refuge Ranch, is a long-term, residential, therapeutic community for 48 girls who have been recovered from sex traffickers. Built from the ground up in a beautiful and restorative setting outside of Austin, TX, The Refuge Ranch provides trauma-informed,
holistic care for the girls on site, including: psychiatric services from Dell Medical School at The University of Texas at Austin’s Department of Psychiatry and the Institute for Early Life Adversity Research; education through the University of Texas-University Charter School (UT-UCS); medical services by community partners; and various therapeutic programs uniquely designed for the development of a child survivor.
The Refuge Ranch is the largest long-term, live-in rehabilitation facility for child survivors of sex trafficking in the United States.
Role and Responsibilities
● Work collaboratively with the board and the Founder, Brooke Crowder. S/he will serve as a partner to Brooke and lead day to day operations of the Refuge Ranch.
● Manage the Federal and State funding streams of the young women living on the Refuge Ranch.
● Codify the intake system of the organization, systemize existing therapeutic modalities and increase utilization of the Refuge Ranch.
● Recruit, develop and coach the leadership at the organization, grooming talent for greater roles and responsibilities.
● Cultivate and solicit new donors while managing existing relationships with donors.
● Prioritize strategic initiatives and tackle key challenges that exist within the organization to further advance The Refuge and the cause.
● Previous experience leading a mission driven organization where she/he has driven strategy, managed a P&L and a team of several managers or directors.
● Ability to handle a high tempo and high stress environment.
● Experience working with State and Government stakeholders and ability to procure and manage government funding for the Refuge’s participants.
● Experience operating in a Non-Profit Organization at scale ($7M+ operating budget) preferred.
● Understanding and firm grasp of workings of the non-profit sector.
● Tech savvy and fluent in a variety of tech applications (Google Suite, Microsoft Office etc).
● Familiarity with trauma rehabilitation and experience with the health or therapeutic rehabilitation interventions with minors that take place at The Refuge.
● Experience fundraising and cultivating donors.
● Firn understanding of Domestic Minor Sex Trafficking (DMST) Issues.
● Bachelor's Degree Required.
● Embodies a growth mindset and positive psychology.
● Strong spiritual life that informs his or her work.
● Ability to keep calm and centered in high stress environments; resilient and steadfast in the face of adversity.
● Strong moral compass, courageous and compassionate with a heart for trauma survivors.
● A Servant leader who is selfless, humble and has the ability to love a great range of people.
● Scrappy, comfortable and able to stay calm in high stress situations.